The Fancy Deep

Thursday, November 3, 2011

What would you do if you weren't afraid?


Writing has been a journey that has stretched me in many ways.

Letting go of my own fears has been the MOST difficult part. Sometimes it has felt like those deep-seated little buggers had to be surgically removed.

In a commencement speech for Barnard College, Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook, asked that question and it has helped me take an offensive position in the war against my own writing fears. I began asking myself if my limitations were real, or imagined (fear).

What would you do if you weren't afraid? Tell me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I struggle with a contradiction: I want to share my book badly, but I am so afraid of putting it out there. I'm afraid of it not being good enough...:(
So...I'd probably query more, and share my book more willingly. That's what I'm going to have to do, after all...I'd just not have so much trouble with it.

Shayla said...

I struggle with "what if there's something better?". Quite frankly I feel that there's so many things I can do, so many options, and I don't want to pick the wrong ones. I have some good friends who keep encouraging me, but still facing the actual story is terrifying.