The Fancy Deep

Thursday, December 2, 2010

How to Stay Sane & Creative or Why I Heart Elizabeth Gilbert

Writing is messy. At least for me it is. I'm not the kind of person who can sit down on a schedule and pump out consistent content. I need to percolate, ruminate and then regurgitate. It comes in batches for me and some would have me think this was a bad thing.

Not Elizabeth Gilbert, author of "Eat, Pray, Love." She gave an outstanding speech at TED about creativity that has helped me enormously. And you don't have to be a writer to relate. If you create anything on a regular basis from engines to entrees, you'll learn something from her words.

KK

3 comments:

momabroad said...

Just saw this. Great encouragement, especially to those of us who are amateurs. Helped me realize I should keep pursuing my talents, no matter how limited I feel they are. :) Love you Kristen. :)

Mike Farmer said...

Loved this. Thanks for sharing. As one who has mostly experienced creativity through my technical work, I can attest that when the creative spirit, those "allah" moments, occur it is amazing what is accomplished. Now that I am turning to more visually creative aspects of my life, I have yet to find that same creative spirit - frustratingly. I think that it will come, however, if I continue to show up.

Anyway, I appreciated the insightful talk. Thanks again for sharing and good luck with your book and other creative pursuits

Jessica said...

I really love what she says and how she says it. What a beautiful speech.